The biography of the famous Irish American president JFK holds many interesting facts from his childhood, before, during and after the Presidency and at various other points throughout his life.
President John F. Kennedy captivated the American public and that continues today. Although he has been studied widely, here are a few lesser known and odd facts about this famous president that you might not have come across.
1. Kennedy gave all of his presidential salary, $100,000 a year, to charity.
2. He was the first president to dance with African American women at an inaugural ball.
3. Kennedy survived four assassination attempts during his life. A retired postal worker attempted to kill him barely a month after his election by following him from Hyannis Port, MA to Georgetown in Washington, DC to Palm Beach, FL in a car loaded with dynamite. Other plots in Chicago and Tampa were discovered in the weeks before November 22, 1963.
(Robert, Ted and John Kennedy)
4. He received the Last Rites four times in his life. He first received them in 1947 after becoming gravely ill in England and next received them in 1951 when he got a severe fever in Japan. Kennedy got them again in 1954 after back surgery and lastly on November 22, 1963.
5. Kennedy was obsessed with his weight and traveled with a bathroom scale.
7. He bought up to 1,200 high-grade Cuban cigars the day before he ordered a ban on Cuban imports.
8. During WWII his ship PT-109 was sunk and he scratched a message on a coconut husk as part of his efforts to get his crew rescued. He later used the coconut husk as a paperweight in the Oval Office.
Courtesy of Irish Central.